Add to Facebook
download .zip with all pictures
This little locomotive a 1920 product of the American Locomotive Company’s (ALCo) Cooke Works. Originally built as stock for export to Cuba, the locomotive went unsold for three years until the Narragansett Pier Railroad in Peace Dale, Rhode Island purchased it for use. After 9 years it was sold to the Bath & Hammondsport Railroad between those namesake communities in New York.
Following retirement on the B&H in 1949, the locomotive was stored as an item of sentimental value until 1955, when it was sold to one Dr. Stanley Gorman for his Rail City Museum in Sandy Pond, NY. It operated there until RCM closed in 1972, after which it changed hands twice before coming into the ownership of Alan Maples, president of the Everett Railroad, in 2006. She moved for the first time under steam the day prior to this photo, 10/10/15. It weighs in at a modest 55 1/2 tons, typical of 1920s-era shortline railroad locomotives, and is currently the only active steam locomotive in the Altoona, PA area,
The Everett also owns the another steam locomotive that resided at RCM, ex-Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain 2-8-0 #38, which saw use after Sandy Pond at Gettysburg and the Knox & Kane, where it had been out of service at the time the Kinzua Viaduct collapsed, ending the K&K’s main draw and thus operations. An arson in the enginehouse damaged both of the K&K’s steam locomotives (the other being a Chinese SY), and Mr. Maples purchased the #38 at auction which, constitutes both a reunion with #11 and a homecoming-of-sorts. The Everett Railroad is the spiritual sucessor to the H&BT. Work on repairing Ol’ 38 will likely commence pending sucess of excursion service with #11.